Company: Northern Middlesex Council of Governments
Title: Transportation Planner
Category: Full Time Professional (Exempt)
Supervisor: The Transportation Planner works under the general direction of the Executive Director and the supervision of the Transportation Program Manager
Salary Range: $65,000-$80,000 depending on qualifications and experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Functions: : Employee primarily engages in technical planning support work as staff for the Northern Middlesex Metropolitan Planning Organization (NMMPO) funded by and in coordination with the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), the Lowell Regional Transportation Authority (LRTA), and other local, state and federal transportation-related entities.
- Performs and provides advanced professional level planning and project work assisting with the administration of the regional transportation planning program designed to achieve the region’s transportation goals, including highway, bridge, Complete Streets and bicycle/pedestrian planning and projects
- Assists in development of Federal Certification documents including the regional Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP), and the Long Range Transportation Plan (RTP)
- Maintains current knowledge of local, state and federal transportation planning issues
- Collects, organizes and analyzes data for the region’s transportation projects, studies and activities, including traffic count data, crash data, and pavement condition inventories
- Performs field work including traffic counts, turning movement counts, parking utilization counts, crosswalk and bicycle/pedestrian infrastructure audits
- Performs technical analyses and calculations, in accordance with standard and accepted transportation planning and engineering standards and practices
- Maintains and updates transportation-related databases
- Develops and prepares transportation-related technical studies and reports
- Presents to community and business groups and engages the community as part of transportation plans and projects
- Responds to inquiries from the public, member municipalities, and state and federal agencies regarding NMCOG’s transportation planning projects
- Participates in transportation-related technical committees, advisory committees, working groups and task forces, as appropriate
- Attends evening meetings as required
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Communicating effectively, verbally and in writing, with strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with member municipalities, advocacy groups, consultants, and the public
- Operating a computer and related software including Microsoft Office 365 suite, knowledge of or experience with Highway Capacity software, pavement management software, and other technical software programs
- Managing projects, time and project load appropriately
- Maintaining professionalism and diplomacy
Education and Experience
- Candidates must have a Master’s degree in Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Engineering, or related field and five (5) years of experience in transportation planning, engineering, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- Familiarity with the MPO and transportation planning process
Licenses, Certifications, and Equipment
- A valid driver’s license is required
- AICP certification preferred but not required
The position is open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Raitt, firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates selected to interview may be asked to submit a sample of relevant writing or work product. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the US and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. NMCOG participates in E-Verify, which is a federal program that helps us to determine work eligibility in the United States.
NMCOG offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits and a flexible, hybrid work environment. NMCOG is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: Hybrid
Salary range: $65,000 – $80,000
Location: Lowell Massachusetts
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.