Company: United Way of Massachusetts Bay
United Way of Massachusetts Bay exists to build more equitable communities, together. With over 85 years of local impact in eastern Massachusetts, we work with and for our communities to build economic prosperity, and enable everyone-across races and ethnicities-to share in the knowledge, wealth and resources available. We believe that the key to unlocking opportunity is uniting people, and we bring together individuals, community leaders, corporate partners, legislators and organizations to build a powerful engine of change.
LOCATION: Boston, MA
DIVISION: Public Affairs
REPORTS TO: Chief of Public Affairs
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: $95,000 – $110,000
The Sr. Director of Communications will work with the Chief of Public Affairs to lead efforts to increase public awareness of our work as well as amplify the impact, policy change, and civic engagement that United Way is driving in the community. The Sr. Director of Communications will play a key role in media relations and the development of thought leadership, messaging and digital/social media content to elevate United Way’s work across new and wider audiences.
We are seeking a team member with exceptional writing and strong interpersonal skills who has a keen understanding of the needs, motivations and aspirations of the media and key stakeholders. The Sr. Director of Communications will bring a strong track record of engaging the media and external partners, connecting with them in effective, compelling and engaging ways to deliver results. The ability to excel in a fast-paced environment and tackle multiple priorities at once is also critical to this role.
- Develop plans and implement media outreach around United Way impact, policy work, announcements and thought leadership.
- Draft organizational news releases, media advisories, blog posts, OpEds and media pitches.
- Identify, prioritize, develop, and elevate key storylines and themes from United Way initiatives and partnerships.
- Ensure United Way’s tone and messaging advance diversity, equity and inclusion and contribute to fostering racial and social justice issues in our region.
- Supervise the Social Media Manager role and collaborate with the Public Affairs team to drive editorial calendar and content
- Assist in development of speaking points for the CEO and for media interviews, position statements and corporate communications.
- Grow and strengthen relationships with media outlets by increasing perception of United Way as a valuable, reliable, quick-to-respond, and insightful source.
- Strategically work directly with members of the media (traditional and emerging), proactively pitching stories and coverage of projects and partners and responding to media inquiries.
- Develop new approaches to raise visibility (influencers, events, etc.)
- Measure effectiveness of media relations efforts through placements and content analysis.
- Work with the public policy and digital teams to develop digital content and strategies to tell the stories of the impact United Way is having on individuals, families and communities across our region.
- Infuse United Way into the social narrative by creating ideas for shareable pieces of content through our Instagram, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn and video channels.
- BS/BA in Journalism/Communications or related field and a minimum of five years of experience.
- Strategic, conceptual, and creative thinker.
- Proven record of supporting multiple programs and/or clients simultaneously.
- Proven knowledge of and experience within the local and regional media market.
- Demonstrated use of social media to engage and deepen relationships with the media and the public.
- Experience or knowledge in policy work and/or government a plus.
- Ability to produce high quality written material requiring minimal revision.
- Ability to translate complex concepts and initiatives into concise, compelling storylines and messaging.
- Exemplary judgment, experience and skills in responding to media inquiries and crisis communication.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Detail oriented with ability to delegate, prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Experience with Word Press content management web platform is helpful.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to the mission of the United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley.
United Way of Massachusetts Bay is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of our communities.
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.