Company: Unitarian Universalist Service Committee
Job Title: Researcher
Department: Programs, Advocacy, and Action (PAA)
Reports to: Director for Research, Impact, and Learning
Level: Union Position, Grade 6
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time (35 hours/week)
Starting Salary Range: $75,000 to 82,500
Location: Boston/Cambridge, MA (some positions may be remote eligible)
Other Work Conditions
The organization requires all UUSC community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Our office in Cambridge, MA is regularly cleaned, and standard safety protocols are followed in accordance with public health authorities to prevent the spread of infectious disease.
Guided by Unitarian Universalist principles and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, UUSC is a human rights organization that strives to advance human rights, dismantle systems of oppression, and uplift the inherent dignity and power of all people. We focus our work in three intersectional areas of justice: Migrant Justice, Climate and Disaster Justice, and International Justice and Accountability. We center the voices and experiences of those most affected and strengthen those grassroots groups and movements who are organizing themselves to advance these goals. To accomplish this, we offer Justice Education and Leadership Development, Engagement and Mobilization for Advocacy, and Grantmaking and Partner Support.
Working under the supervision of the Director for Research, Impact & Learning and in collaboration with other colleagues, the Researcher is responsible for advancing action research to support UUSC’s programmatic goals and objectives. The Researcher works to advance original research and knowledge on UUSC’s strategic priorities, provide evidence and documentation to support critical change in policy and practice, and centers grassroots partners’ needs and participation. UUSC’s research program is centered on Participatory Action Research (PAR) and as such, the Researcher’s primary role is to collaborate with UUSC’s grassroots partners to advance research that supports their needs. This position will be Remote eligible and can be based in the Cambridge/Boston area or in one of the 10 states in which UUSC is registered as an employer (MA, CT, ME, VA, MD, NC, GA, FL, WA, NY, and D.C).
- Cultivate reciprocal relationships with UUSC’s partners who wish to engage in research collaboration. Work collaboratively with cross-functional UUSC teams to advance action research in partnership with UUSC’s grassroots partners and to advance UUSCs core objectives.
- Carry out day-to-day activities related to research projects, including collaborative project team management, timelines, scoping, research planning, methods and tactics, analysis, writing, creative content, dissemination, and strategic advocacy stemming from research projects.
- In collaboration with partners and independently when appropriate, conduct research and develop white papers, briefing reports, investigative reports, and other research products for diverse audiences.
- Act as a spokesperson for UUSC and research teams in media, academic, and advocacy spaces related to research.
- Tailor and disseminate research for diverse audiences and help Communications to adapt research for visual, audio, digital, or other creative content.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned by supervisor consistent with the roles of the position.
- Strong commitment to human rights and social justice. Proficient knowledge of key issues in one of UUSC’s key areas of work: climate justice, migrant justice, complex humanitarian crises
- 5+ years demonstrated experience in designing, conducting, and disseminating research
- Advanced experience doing research collaboratively — especially with grassroots organizations, community members, and/or Indigenous communities
- A strong team player who is enthusiastic about advancing PAR and partners’ research needs.
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Solid problem-solving and decision-making skills. Must demonstrate ability to do daily activities independently and conduct multiple projects and priorities at the same time
- Advanced proficiency in Spanish, Haitian Kreyol, or Burmese a plus
- Ability to participate in up to 30% travel, both domestically and internationally, is required
UUSC offers a competitive, generous benefits package including health, dental, and life insurance, STD/LTD, 403(b) tax deferred annuity, retirement plan with 9% of salary contribution to pension plan after 1 year of service, flexible spending plans for medical and dependent care, commuter allowance, and generous paid time off.
Non-Discrimination and Equal Employment Opportunity
UUSC’s mission affirms and celebrates the inherent dignity and power of every person. We are committed to creating a diverse and talented team to achieve that mission. UUSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all. UUSC is deeply committed to ensuring that our organizational culture, policies, and employment practices embody equity and justice.
For more information about the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, please visit www.uusc.org
This search is being led by NRG Consulting Group. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: No
Salary range: $75,000-$82,000
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.