Company: Massachusetts Housing Partnership
Take the next step in your career as Research Manager at the Massachusetts Housing Partnership’s Center for Housing Data, where you’ll contribute directly to meaningful improvements in housing outcomes across the Commonwealth. This is a unique opportunity to join a team with a proven record of turning research into action through policy advisement, interactive websites and tools, and partnerships with other policy professionals and decision-makers.
Who we are:
MHP, a public non-profit organization, is a community of innovators dedicated to solving pressing housing challenges In Massachusetts through data-driven programs, policies and financing tools. We have financed over 30,000 affordable rental units, enabled more than 25,000 households to purchase their first home, helped hundreds of cities and towns expand housing opportunities, and shaped state policy through creative research and thought leadership. Our mission is to pioneer new development and financing models that make more effective use of public resources, be responsive to local needs, promote racial equity, and achieve greater impact than conventional approaches to affordable housing. Building on a long history of leadership and innovation, MHP focuses on Community Assistance, Rental Financing, Homeownership and Data & Policy.
MHP is committed to fostering diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB) in our workplace. We are seeking a Research Manager who shares our dedication to DEIB and can contribute to and further enhance these organizational values.
About the team:
The Center for Housing Data at MHP develops and manages data-driven initiatives that support MHP’s public policy work. This team works collaboratively with internal and external partners to bring greater attention to housing issues across the Commonwealth through innovative research and effective outreach and education strategies. The Center for Housing Data team’s prior accomplishments include providing analytic insights and recommendations on landmark state housing policies, such as the Housing Choice Initiative and the MBTA Communities law (Section 3A). We have also published several websites and analytical tools to deliver housing-related insights to a broad audience. These include DataTown, TODEX, and our most recent product, Residensity, all of which are used regularly in the field by planners, researchers, and citizens interested in housing issues. These sites have been recognized on the state level and have also been cited and commended by national groups.
About the role:
The Center for Housing Data is excited to bring a Research Manager onto the team who will help build on these achievements to expand and elevate our impact. Working closely with the Director of the Center for Housing Data, the Research Manager will coordinate and guide the team through research and analytical projects, focusing effort on project plans and timelines, collaborative working sessions and check-ins, and data storage and retrieval practices. In addition, the research manager will contribute directly to projects by conducting research and analysis, writing up results and findings, and participating in the messaging, distribution, and presentation of results.
What you’ll do:
- In close collaboration with the Director of Research & Analytics for the Center for Housing Data (CHD), using R and other research tools, research and synthesize complex housing policy and generate recommendations, briefs, policy proposals, and other documents in furtherance of MHP mission that include housing affordability, land use, racial and economic equity, and the intersection between housing, transportation, and climate, among other themes.
- Support the Director of CHD in exploring new ideas/products/research.
- Engage in professional development opportunities to stay abreast with the latest in the field of data science for public policy and share acquired information with CHD and MHP staff to ensure MHP continues to be at the forefront as a leader in equitable and inclusive housing policy.
Project Leadership & Execution:
- Implement structured organizational practices by creating and managing standardized project plans, developing clear project proposals, scheduling and facilitating meetings, identifying and following through on next steps.
- Lead a variety of research projects from conception through completion within specified timelines, ensuring high levels of engagement with internal and external stakeholders.
- Adhere to project timelines and budgets, ensuring the objectives align with the CHD’s mission, focusing on housing affordability, land use, racial and economic equity, and related themes.
- Ensure on-time delivery of project milestones.
- Plan and be the driver for internal and external meetings and ensure roles and responsibilities are clearly communicated.
- Manage and nurture relationships with partners, ensuring open lines of communication and information sharing while keeping a collaborative dialogue open for future opportunities.
- Engage external partners better to understand industry problems, opportunities, and solutions.
- Drive external stakeholder engagement by preparing and presenting findings through various channels such as reports, presentations, social media, and other messaging materials.
Team Collaboration & Engagement:
- Support the Director of CHD in planning and executing policy and team meetings.
- Actively participate and support bi-weekly project update meetings to maintain and elevate departmental engagement.
- Establish regular feedback between members of the department, ensuring continual improvement in processes and outcomes.
Communication and Outreach:
- Distill complex content from MHP and partners into easily understandable information tailored for diverse audiences with varying levels of understanding of housing policy.
- Work in tandem with the MHP communications team to support the production of engaging social media and marketing materials, ensuring the content is accessible to the general public.
- Oversee maintenance and updates of the Center’s internal and external data resources and websites.
The budgeted compensation for this role is $70,000 to $78,000. Any final offer will be based on various factors, including job-related knowledge, skills, competencies, and experience. The listed range is just one component of MHP’s total compensation package for employees.
The Research Manager role is designated as Remote-First. Positions designated as Remote-First are required to work out of the Boston office two days per week during the first 90 days of employment for training and engagement. Thereafter, in accordance with MHP policies, anyone in this role will work out of the Boston office at minimum on a quarterly basis or up to once per month based on manager/team determined needs of the role. This position will use hybrid workplace scheduling software to reserve office desk space when working onsite. The position will utilize an MHP laptop which must be transported to and from the MHP office.
Travel within Massachusetts will occasionally be required. Valid Driver’s license or ability to acquire one and/or reliable means of transportation required.
- Understanding of housing policy and analysis, or similar experience working in public policy research in a related field, such as transportation, climate, real estate, or planning.
- Knowledge, experience, and comfort working with research and coding tools such as R for tasks such as data retrieval and cleaning, statistical analysis, and data visualization.
- Ability to distill complex and nuanced information into digestible materials for a variety of audiences, such as research briefs, web content, presentation materials, and social media content.
- Experience and comfort with project management, meeting coordination, and client/partner engagement.
- Comfort working in a collaborative team environment.
- Comfort and ability to work and collaborate with executives and other senior leaders
- Ability, willingness, and comfort engaging diverse individuals and communities.
- Knowledge and experience engaging in database management and statistical analysis.
Benefits our employees value:
MHP understands that benefits are an important consideration when looking for a new role. We are proud to offer our employees a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Hybrid and flexible work schedule
- Health insurance through the state’s Group Insurance Commission
- 403b retirement plans with match up to 10% and immediate vesting
- Annual 5-week paid time off (PTO) benefit
- Fully paid group term life, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- Dental insurance through MetLife with 90% of premium covered by MHP
- Vision insurance through VSP with 50% of premium covered by MHP
- Medical and dependent care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Public transportation reimbursement
- Onsite gym subsidy
- Tuition reimbursement up to $10,000
- Professional development resources and assistance
- First time homebuyer assistance of up to $20,000
- Generous home office benefit
MHP is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, past or present military service, status as an individual with a disability, or any other legally protected characteristics. MHP is committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: Hybrid
Salary range: $70,000 to $78,000