Company: Boston Municipal Research Bureau
Boston Municipal Research Bureau – Boston, MA
This is a full-time position with benefits.
The Boston Municipal Research Bureau seeks an analytical and collaborative thinker for the position of Policy Analyst to engage in objective research on public policy and government finance issues that impact the City of Boston. As a critical member of the research team, the Policy Analyst will help frame, develop and produce research, policy analysis and reports related to Boston city government finances, management, policies and programs. The Research Bureau, valued as a highly credible and independent force for effective government, plays a strong role in shaping the direction of public policy and management issues affecting Boston.
It is key that this individual is balanced and objective. A successful candidate will also be a skilled communicator and relationship-builder, as they will play a role in furthering the Research Bureau’s mission.
- Work independently and as part of a team to conduct research, analysis and reporting on public policy and government finance projects.
- Translate policy issues, research findings and recommendations for various audiences into compelling and digestible formats. Draft, edit and fact-check research reports, newsletter articles, testimony and presentations.
- Assist with maintaining the organization’s research data, including efficient and accurate data collection, database entry, updates, organization and analysis.
- Engage with Research Bureau members, public officials, public policy and civic organizations, the academic community, and other stakeholders.
- Attend public, business and nonprofit meetings and hearings that align with the Research Bureau’s policy agenda.
- Attend Board of Directors, Executive Committee and standing Committee meetings of the Research Bureau.
§ Perform project-related and internal administrative activities as a member of a collaborative team in a small office environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Government, Public Policy, Public Administration, Political Science, Economics or other related field and at least 2 years of research, public policy analysis or equivalent experience, or a Master’s degree and 1 year of related experience. Experience with city or town government appreciated.
- Ability to understand public policy and finance issues and to communicate them effectively to a variety of audiences; familiarity with government stakeholders/processes. Understanding of public policy issues in Boston, such as housing, government finance or education, is a plus.
- Excellent communication (both oral and written), interpersonal and critical thinking skills.
- Detail-oriented problem solver with the ability to prioritize multiple projects while maintaining high product quality.
- Experience gathering, analyzing and presenting data, asking strategic questions and articulating research findings.
- Ability to exercise discretion and excellent judgment in handling sensitive information.
- Ability to work exceptionally well individually and on teams.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically with Excel, and familiarity with current data management, analysis and presentation best practices.
About the Boston Municipal Research Bureau
The Boston Municipal Research Bureau is a nonprofit, non-partisan, member- supported research organization whose expertise, objective analysis and recommendations help shape the direction of public policy over a wide range of city issues, with a focus on more efficient, effective and responsible government for the City of Boston. The Research Bureau’s research, recommendations, public testimony and coverage in the media have led to sound policies, new laws and important management improvements for Boston.
The Research Bureau carries out this mission through working relationships with city government leadership, including elected and appointed officials, and partnerships with other nonprofit and business groups and experts, including our Board of Directors consisting of over 50 of Boston’s prominent business, education, institutional and civic leaders. With a small staff, the Research Bureau is a collaborative, team-oriented work environment. The Research Bureau does not participate in any political campaign on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for elective office.
The Research Bureau is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are currently working on a hybrid schedule. The Research Bureau has regular office hours of 9 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday. Occasionally the Research Bureau holds events outside of regular office hours, which the Policy Analyst is expected to attend.
To apply, please submit letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: Hybrid
Salary range: $50,000 – $65,000
Location: Boston Massachusetts
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.