Company: Cannabis Control Commission
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Human Resources Generalist, under the direction of the Director of Human Resources, is responsible for supporting managers and employees in multiple areas, such as recruitment, salary and benefits administration, employee relations, diversity and inclusion, performance management, onboarding, and other areas. The Human Resources Generalist will also assist in the implementation of HR policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide coaching, counseling, and interpretation of HR policies and procedures;
- Process personnel transactions, job inquiries, applications, written documentation relating to disciplinary actions and resignations with the utmost promptness and accuracy and while maintaining confidentiality;
- Perform general time and attendance and supportive payroll functions, including verifying and entering payroll, auditing time data, and payroll reports, and researching and resolving discrepancies;
- Track and administer leaves of absence, including FMLA and other types of leave;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for employees with questions or concerns regarding payroll, benefits, retirement, or leaves of absence;
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of staff, including screening applications, scheduling interviews, and participating in the hiring and on-boarding processes; and
- Maintain confidentiality of employees’ files and data in both electronic and paper formats.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with other agencies within the Commonwealth (i.e., GIC, State Retirement, Comptroller, Human Resources Division);
- Serve as point of contact for other agencies within the Commonwealth for purposes of payroll transactions, benefits administration, and workers’ compensation;
- Draft, update, and enforce personnel policies, procedures, and initiatives; and
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and comply with all laws, regulations, and statutes governing the employee-employer relationship;
- Willingness and ability to multi-task and get involved in all aspects of human resources management;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and knowledge of PeopleSoft/HRIS databases;
- Able to accept personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work, and for meeting expectations;
- Able to build constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, integrity, cooperation, and mutual regard;
- Able to seek opportunities to resolve problems, achieve goals, or otherwise advance the Commission’s mission;
- Able to contribute actively to a work environment that embraces diversity;
- Comfortable working independently, as well as with teams; and
- Ability to work in the Commission’s Worcester headquarters and travel to the satellite office in Boston as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or related field;
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in human resources, preferably as a Human Resources Generalist or Representative;
- Experience with the Commonwealths systems (HRCMS, CIW) preferred; and
- Proven ability to earn trust and handle confidential matters discreetly.
SALARY RANGE: $70,000 – $80,000
The Commission is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefits package to its employees. The specific components and eligibility may vary based upon position classification, hours worked per week and other variables. Therefore, specific benefits for this position may be discussed as part of the interview and offer process.
This position is non-civil service. This position is an exempt position.
The overall benefits available include: paid vacation, sick and personal leave time, health, dental and vision insurance through the Commonwealth’s Group Insurance, and optional pre-tax Health Savings Account plans.
In addition, the Commission provides employees the opportunity to elect life insurance, long-term disability insurance, deferred compensation savings, tuition remission and pre-tax commuter account plans, along with other programs.
The Commission employees also participate in the Commonwealth’s State Retirement Plan, which can become a defined benefit plan for those that both vest and subsequently retire from State service. Follow this link for additional retirement information: http://www.mass.gov/treasury/retirement/state-board-of-retire/.
Commitment to Diversity:
The Commission is committed to building a diverse staff across its entire agency and at all levels. The Commission is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Application Process and Deadline:
The Commission encourages interested candidates that meet the minimum requirements for experience and skills to apply for this position. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail no later than Wednesday, February 1, 2023 . The application package should be submitted to:
Please include the position title in the subject line: CCC Human Resources Generalist.
Submissions are due by 5:00 pm (e-mail) on Wednesday, February 1, 2023; late submissions may be considered solely at the discretion of the Commission.
Notice of Required Background Check – Including Tax Compliance:
The Commission requires a background check on all prospective employees as a condition of employment.
Candidates should be aware of this requirement but should also know that such background check is not initiated until:
- A candidate is invited to a second or subsequent interview, and
- The candidate has signed the Background Check Authorization Form and related releases.
This background check includes a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check, Federal IRS and Department of Revenue state tax compliance on all prospective employees as a condition of their employment.
Candidates with advanced degrees and professional licenses may have these credentials verified. Individuals other than those references provided by a candidate may be contacted in the course of completing a full background and qualification check.
Those candidates invited to interview will be contacted by the Commission. Unfortunately, due to the anticipated high volume of applicants for this vacancy, we are unable to provide status updates to specific individuals.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: No
Salary range: $70,000 – $80,000
Location: Worcester Massachusetts
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.