Company: Massachusetts Union of Public Housing Tenants
Director of Membership/Organizing
Application Deadline: May 31, 2023
- Salary: $75,000 FTE
- Benefits: Generous health, vision and dental benefits. Generous vacation and other paid time off.
- Hours: 32-40 hours/week
- Reports to: Executive Director
Please note that we have used the ‘Director of Organizing’ title in various ads and promotional materials for sourcing purposes. Within Mass Union, this position is known as the Director of Membership.
Job Description/About Us
Mass Union is seeking an experienced organizer to work directly with public housing tenants across the state. There are 240 Housing Authorities in Massachusetts, providing housing for about 75,000 households. Mass Union’s mission is to help these residents advocate for a high quality of life, including safe and sanitary living conditions. Massachusetts is the only state with a sizable amount of state-funded public housing units, which provide housing for 43,000 extremely low-income seniors, persons with disabilities, and families. The state-funded portfolio has been underfunded for decades and it is necessary to build tenant power to ensure that the buildings remain livable and tenants are treated with respect. This is a crucial fight, given the state’s affordable housing crisis.
Mass Union is governed by a board of public housing tenants. We have close working relationships with state agencies, Housing Authorities, and partners who provide legal and other support. We are a membership organization. Our members (affiliates) are democratically run tenant organizations across the state. We currently have about 60 affiliates and are poised for significant expansion. The Director of Membership will play a key role in shaping and delivering programming to current and new affiliates in order to build power at the local and state levels. You will have the chance to help tenants form Local Tenant Organizations, which have strong regulatory rights to participate in the decision-making that occurs at Housing Authorities. You will also help shape and advocate for our policy agenda. You will be at the center of a crucial fight for housing justice.
Experience and Skills Needed
- At least five years organizing experience at the grassroots or statewide level Bilingual a major plus (Spanish-English preferred)
- Experience working with low-income communities, communities of color, and seniors
- Facilitation skills and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to absorb and share accurate information about relevant laws, regulations and guidance from federal and state agencies
- Grassroots-based power analysis; understanding of the roots of poverty, inequality, racism, and classism
- Supervisory and/or training experience a plus
- Standard office and database skills
- Ability to travel across the state
- Some nights and weekends needed
- Knowledge of housing regulations and issues a plus
- With the Executive Director, work with public housing tenant leaders to form tenant organizations and build collective power, including running elections
- Assist in creating and advocating for Mass Union’s policy agenda
- Supervise a small cohort of public housing resident leaders who provide peer-to-peer support for other residents
- Provide support to tenants in filing grievances
- Speak at resident meetings and other venues
- Facilitate resident meetings and other meetings
- Track tenant engagements in Salesforce
- Manage communications with residents and others
- Provide other support as needed, particularly with fundraising and our biannual Conventions
Mass Union is based in Dorchester. This position will involve travel and some work from home is also negotiable. The Director of Membership will have the option to work 80% time if desired (with prorated salary).
How to Apply
Please submit your application to this online application page by May 31, 2023. We ask for your resume and answers to a few application questions in lieu of a cover letter.
Mass Union is a diverse community and we strive to be radically inclusive. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
This search is being led by NRG Consulting Group. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: No
Salary range: $75,000
Location: Boston Massachusetts
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.