Company: On The Rise
On The Rise is a Cambridge-based nonprofit organization that provides safety, community, and advocacy for homeless and formerly-homeless women and transgender/non-binary individuals.
As expressed in the organization’s mission statement, “On The Rise’s work begins with individuals experiencing homelessness, and continues if and when they secure housing. From our origin as a women’s organization, our programs have evolved toward inclusion of those historically and structurally oppressed on the basis of gender.
For those with the fewest options, we cultivate long-term relationships that foster safety and
belonging. Guided by the strength and initiative of our program participants, we join their journey to wellbeing, as skilled partners and advocates.
Throughout this journey, we engage with the people, programs and systems that most affect our
participants, working to build a society that nourishes their wellbeing.”
On The Rise is a very values-driven organization and team. Please visit the website to learn more.
The services and impact of On The Rise are delivered through the efforts of 15 highly dedicated, talented, and caring team members. On The Rise’s $1.9 million annual operating budget is raised primarily (60-70%) from private sources. Each year, from its Cambridge, MA location in a beautiful Victorian home, OTR delivers its unique, low- threshold, holistic programming to 400-500 women and trans/nonbinary individuals, experiencing and recovering from homelessness.
The Director of Finance & Operations (DFO) will join On The Rise at a unique and exciting time in the organization’s 27-year history. First and foremost, the need for the services On The Rise provides is growing rapidly as the effects of the pandemic and the economy continue to deeply impact the lives of many, especially those in marginalized communities. Secondly, On The Rise’s reputation is incredibly strong, and its participant-focused approach has recently been recognized by local leaders as critical and impactful. Thirdly, the organization’s finances, fiscal management practices, and fundraising efforts are strong. And finally, a new five-year strategic plan is nearing completion and will include new and creative ways to fulfill the organization’s mission. All of these factors make this an exceptionally interesting and exciting time to join the leadership of On The Rise and help chart the organization’s path forward.
The Director of Finance & Operations plays a critical role in On The Rise’s mission-driven work. Reporting to the Executive Director, the DFO is a member of a four-person Senior Leadership Team, with the Director of Clinical Services and the Director of Development and Communications. The DFO is responsible for positioning the organization’s internal resources for maximum alignment with organizational goals. As such, this position has oversight and responsibility for matters relating to accounting and finance, human resources, IT, facilities, contracts and operations/administration.
The DFO supervises the Operations Team who handle the majority of day-to-day support functions of the organization such as resource coordination, phones, and mail. It is anticipated in late 2022 that the DFO will lead the addition of a fourth position to manage day-to-day finance and administrative functions. The DFO is a full-time, exempt position and works onsite in OTR’s office located in Central Square/Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Finance & Reporting
- Work closely with the ED, Board, and Finance Committee to design and implement financial strategies consistent with the organization’s strategic direction
- Oversee annual planning and budgeting, in coordination with managers and staff
- Prepare financial forecasts and long-term finance plans to ensure organizational health and appropriate financial reserves
- Manage organization’s spending within parameters of budget
- Recommend changes to spending or org structure based on actual revenue receipts and forecasts
- Design and maintain appropriate internal control procedures and identify and execute opportunities for improved financial operations
- Prepare routine financial reports for internal and external audiences
- Serve as the primary leader for the annual audit and banking accounts/relationships
- Supervise external bookkeeping staff
Staff Management and Organizational Leadership
- Provide supportive, high-quality management and professional development to 2-3 direct reports – Resource Coordinator, Operations Associate, and Finance Manager
- Drive the hiring and onboarding process for the new Finance Manager in early 2023
- Commit completely to the organization’s mission and values, consistently modeling those values as a collaborator and leader
- Thoughtfully commit to and engage in OTR’s racial equity and gender dynamics work, building and maintaining internal systems, and deploying the organization’s resources to reflect a commitment to anti-racism, social justice, and the dismantlement of oppression
- Engage with program participants and front-line staff to truly be a member of the OTR community
Information Technology and Facilities
- Oversee and maintain technology systems and network
- Manage cybersecurity risk and compliance
- Supervise staff/contractors responsible for operation and maintenance of the OTR building, keeping program space at a level of quality consistent with the organization’s mission and office space at a level of quality consistent with the activities of a professional staff
- Negotiate and supervise major capital projects/contracts
Operational Leadership (including HR, Contracts, Insurance, Risk Management)
- Maintain necessary employment records
- Research and recommend changes to benefits/policies to ED as necessary
- Serve as the Affirmative Action and Disability officer
- Serve as governmental contract manager for OTR’s two contract partners, including oversight of financial and statistical reporting, billing and contract term compliance
- Monitor and recommend changes to OTR’s insurance coverage
- In conjunction with ED, oversee systems and policies to ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Maintain contract/correspondence files on all OTR vendors
- Serve as the key liaison with On The Rise’s attorneys
- Design systems to strengthen internal controls, communication, and record keeping
- Until the Finance Manager is onboard: Manage and process payroll; liaise with payroll service provider and staff; manage benefits; liaise with providers, broker, and staff
Desired Credentials/Profile of the Ideal Candidate
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. We are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can see yourself in the following description and can demonstrate a majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
The DFO will be a personable, mission-driven professional with a strong and collaborative work ethic. She/He/They will be an active participant in the OTR community, embodying the organization’s mission and values through their words and actions. They will be passionate about the work of On The Rise and be inspired by their role in enabling its success. They will relish the opportunity to build strong relationships and connections across the organization’s community, including staff, board members, and participants.
Desired skills and experiences of the ideal candidate include:
- Commitment to the mission and values of On The Rise required
- At least 5 years’ of related work experience required
- Substantial business and accounting experience; significant accounting coursework, certificate or degree required
- Experience managing full-time staff member(s) required
- Experience maintaining a computer network preferred
- High degree of comfort with technology and online applications in a PC environment and proficiency in Google Workspace platform preferred
- Experience using QuickBooks preferred
- Direct service experience or exposure to homelessness/trauma preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team, including holding themselves and others to high expectations and engaging effectively in constructive dialogue
- Ability to work in a busy, diverse, fast-paced environment with openness to learning
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $85,000 to $110,000 annually, commensurate with experience and qualifications. On The Rise also provides a generous package of benefits including 75% employer sponsored health/dental insurance; up to 5% retirement plan employer contribution; generous paid time off (15 vacation days, 12 sick days, 12 holidays, and 2 personal days); and 100% employer paid short-/long-term disability plans, life insurance, and paid family and medical leave benefits.
Application Process and Additional Information
To Apply: Please submit a resume and a cover letter that describes how your qualifications and experience match the mission of On The Rise and the requirements of the job. Upload required documents to: https://eostransitions.applicantpool.com/jobs/.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Eos Transition Partners consultant Erin Cox is facilitating this search. All submissions will be acknowledged via the online portal and are confidential, and any questions should be submitted to Erin at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
On The Rise recognizes the importance and benefits of diversity in the workplace and the community. We are an AA/EOE, and we strongly encourage people who are bilingual/bicultural, people of color, people with disabilities, members of LGBQ/T communities, trans, and non-binary people to apply. OTR is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.
Job type: Full Time
Salary range: $85,000 to $110,000
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.