Company: City of Somerville
The employee is responsible for all administrative, financial, and business office customer service functions of the DPW. Employee is required to perform all similar or related duties
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Direct, coordinate and supervise administrative, financial, and service functions of office.
- Manage accounting, budgeting, and payroll activities.
- Provide financial analyses of ongoing projects and contracts.
- Perform studies and prepare operational reports of divisional functions and activities.
- Monitor Personal Services, Ordinary Maintenance, Contracts, and Capital spending and make recommendations for budget adjustments.
- Forecast annual revenues and expenditures.
- In coordination with the Director of Operations and Divisional Superintendents, draft specifications, and contract terms for a wide variety of supplies and services needed by the Department.
- In coordination with the Purchasing Department, procures by competitive bidding informal quotations and negotiation, items of supply, equipment, fleet vehicles, and certain contractual services necessary for the operation of the Department.
- Initiates contacts with vendors relative to supply and equipment availability, purchase orders, and contracts.
- Negotiate and implement strategies with vendors and internal customers to reduce cost and improve delivery and service.
- Work with the Director of Operations and Divisional Superintendents to develop a system of monitoring vendor performance.
- Assists the Commissioner in negotiating contracts working with vendors, the Law Department, and Purchasing Department.
- Studies price trends and market conditions; keeps abreast of supply sources and new product development.
- Review revenue receipts and entries for proper posting in accounting system.
- Manage service section responsible for providing centralized reception, work request and complaint services.
- Establish administrative and operational controls to record and monitor departmental activities (i.e., attendance, overtime project costs).
- Develop and implement divisional procedures.
- Participate in developing and implementing departmental policy.
- Work with Director of Operations and Superintendents to maintain fiscal control of divisional budgets.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in finance and seven (7) years’ experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill:
- Knowledge: Knowledge of governmental budgeting and accounting; knowledge of enterprise fund accounting.
- Abilities: Ability to interact with diverse groups and individuals. Ability to complete multiple tasks in a timely, detailed and organized manner.
- Skill: Analytical skills required. Proficient data processing skills including worked processing and spreadsheet applications.
The work environment involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, with occasional exposure to outside elements. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours in response to attend evening meetings or complete work assignments.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Few physical demands are required to perform the work. Work effort principally involves sitting to perform work tasks, with intermittent periods of stooping, walking, and standing. May also be some occasional lifting of objects such as office equipment and computer paper (up to 30lbs.)
Duties are largely mental rather than physical, but the job may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone, personal computer and/or most other office equipment including word processing, filing and sorting of papers.
Visual demands require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: No
Salary range: $111,903.69 annualized + benefits
Location: Somerville Massachusetts
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.