Company: Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center
We are seeking a dynamic and highly organized Director of Development who is aligned with MassBudget’s mission of advancing equitable policy solutions that create an inclusive, thriving Commonwealth for all. This is an exciting time as MassBudget continues its journey toward being an antiracist organization and explores what that means for our research, advocacy, communications, partnerships, operations, and our development work.
The Director will shape and oversee MassBudget’s development plans for foundations, organizations, and major and small individual donors. The Director will focus on helping secure significant, new funding from foundations and individuals.
The Director will report to the Vice President of Operations. The Director will, with the President and Vice President of Operations, manage the Board’s Development Committee. The Director will also closely coordinate with the Finance and Operations Manager and Director of Communications, among others. Due to the relationship-building nature of this position, the Director of Development is required to reside in Massachusetts or within a reasonable driving distance from Massachusetts.
- Establish and lead the implementation annual development strategies to secure support from potential funders in partnership with the Vice President of Operations
- Conduct research to identify and qualify potential new foundation, organizational, and major individual supporters
- With the President and Vice President of Operations, conduct outreach, meetings, and/or visits with potential funders
Stewardship and Solicitation of Gifts
- Establish and lead the implementation of annual stewardship development plans in partnership with the Vice President of Operations
- Write grant proposals and reports, along with other related materials for new and existing funders
- Develop and implement donor communication touchpoints by curating content and sharing with appropriate donor segment lists
- Coordinate annual direct mail and email fundraising appeals in partnership with the Development, Communications, and Operations internal working group
- Organize periodic fundraising and stewardship events
- Manage timelines for all development functions by utilizing internal project management system, ClickUp
- Manage donor database and usage of donor database platform (Network for Good) and develop strategies and practices to maximize platform effectiveness
- Serve as staff lead for the Board Development Committee, developing agendas and co-running quarterly meetings with Board Development Chair
- Coordinate with Finance and Operations Manager to process all contributions to ensure accurate reporting and data entry
- In conjunction with the Director of Communications, co-lead the Development, Communications, and Operations internal working group
Required Skills and Experience:
- Commitment to antiracism and to building racial and economic equity in alignment with MassBudget’s mission
- Minimum five years of dedicated development experience, including direct solicitation of 5- to 6-figure gifts from foundations, corporations, and/or individuals
- Proven experience creating and executing a development strategy
- Very strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of philanthropic organizations at the state and/or national level
- Detail-oriented collaborator who has proven experience managing deadlines effectively
- Ability to manage up and support the President, Vice President of Operations, and Board of Directors in their development responsibilities
- Experience with development software, including tracking and reporting of donor engagement and contributions
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience managing budgets, grant tracking, and managing restricted funds
- Experience writing community-centered grant applications with partner organizations
- Understanding of local and state policy
- Knowledge of a second language that is prevalent in Massachusetts
- Knowledge of online platforms like Click Up, Slack, and Google Suite
- Experience with public speaking
MassBudget is on its journey to becoming an antiracist organization, one that is a safe, inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and walks of life. Some candidates may see a long list of job requirements and feel discouraged because they don’t match every single bullet point – we suggest, please apply anyway.
Salary and Benefits
MassBudget has a 35-hour work week; this position is full time. MassBudget is a remote-first organization; though, staff may be required to attend in-person meetings and events throughout the year. Salary range is $85,000-$100,000 based on qualifications and experience. MassBudget currently provides generous benefits including paying 100% of health and dental care premiums, contributing to a flexible spending account, providing at least 3 weeks of vacation annually, including paid sick and family leave, and contributing 5% of salary to employees’ 401k plans.
How to Apply
Please email résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Put “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, Applicant for Director of Development” in the subject line of the email. This position is open until filled.
As part of its work on building an antiracist organization, MassBudget does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, physical or mental handicap, parental status, marital status, military status, or past criminal conviction. MassBudget will provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement and will implement affirmative action and physical accommodation policies to employ people of diverse backgrounds and abilities. We encourage applications from persons whose background and experiences will increase the diversity of voices in our organization.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: Hybrid
Salary range: $85,000-$100,000
Location: Boston, MA
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.