HEALING ABUSE WORKING FOR CHANGE
Director of Development & Communications
Healing Abuse Working for Change, Inc. (HAWC) creates social change by taking action against
personal and societal patterns of violence and oppression. For the past 43 years, HAWC has
provided free, confidential services and support to survivors of domestic abuse on
Massachusetts’ North Shore to help them make informed, independent decisions about their
futures. More information is available at www.hawcdv.org.
The Director of Development is a critical senior-level position, reporting to the Executive
Director and collaborating with agency leadership to plan and execute a comprehensive,
integrated and dynamic development program. The Director of Development creates donor
cultivation and stewardship plans; manages the donor database and website; plans fundraising
events and designs donor-centered communications that represent HAWC’s mission and values.
The Director of Development will supervise one support staff member. This position is further
supported by a Finance Assistant processing in-kind gifts; a contract Grant Writer who
researches funding opportunities, writes grant proposals and prepares program reports;
volunteers and interns, and website and development consultants as needed.
The position is full-time with generous benefits, flexible work schedule including work from
home and salary commensurate with experience in the range of $75,000-$85,000/year.
Summary of Benefits:
● 3 weeks of vacation per year during first year; increases at year 5, carryover of 2 weeks
● 13 Holidays off per year
● 13 Sick days per year
● 5 Personal days per year
● 70% Health Insurance paid by HAWC
● 70% Dental Insurance paid by HAWC
● 70% Paid Family & Medical Leave paid by HAWC
● 100% Short & Long Term Disability paid by HAWC
● 100% Employee Assistance Plan paid by HAWC
● 100% paid Life Insurance (1x annual salary up to $50,000)
● Health Reimbursement Account (HAWC pays first 50% of deductible)
● Flexible Spending Account
● 401K plan
● Creates and executes a comprehensive, integrated, strategic development plan to help the
agency meet its fundraising goals.
● Designs donor cultivation strategies including identifying prospects, stewardship,
recognition and retention.
● Executes solicitation campaigns including direct mail, annual giving, Giving Tuesday,
● Manages HAWC’s Annual Corporate Partnership Program, securing annual sponsorships.
● Plans and executes two major fundraising events per year, including the Annual Walk for
● Engages board and committee members in all aspects of development.
● Designs donor-centered communications including quarterly newsletters, annual reports,
and social media content.
● Analyzes funding trends within the organization and in the community.
● Helps solicit contributions on behalf of the organization.
● Assures maintenance of donor and prospect records, gift management systems, and
● Works closely with the Director of Finance and Administration to manage and coordinate
general accounting of gifts and assist with monthly revenue reconciliation.
● Attends local chamber of commerce and other networking events on behalf of the
● Collaborates with the other team members to design and host awareness raising events
● Collaborates with the Director of Programs and Community Partnerships to identify
sources of in-kind support.
● Collaborates with the Volunteer Coordinator to manage the annual holiday program and
identify new volunteer engagement opportunities.
● Supervises development volunteers and interns.
● Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years fundraising experience.
● Comfortable with and enjoys building relationships with donors.
● Demonstrated experience and confidence in event planning.
● Experience with Salsa or comparable donor management systems.
● Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
● Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail.
● Adept at identifying process improvements and executing same.
● Commitment to HAWC’s mission and guiding principles.
● Desire to be an integral part of a HAWC’s sustained success.
Please send a letter of interest and current resume in reply to this post with “Director of
Development” in the subject line.
HAWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HAWC does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity, familial status, disability, ancestry,
age, marital status, public assistance status or genetic information. Survivors, people who are
bilingual/bicultural, persons of color, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ
community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: Hybrid
Salary range: $75000-$85000
Location: Salem, MA
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.