Company: University of Massachusetts Amherst
About UMass Amherst – Mount Ida Campus
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth’s flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The Mount Ida Campus of UMass Amherst is located in Newton, MA adjacent to the Newton-Needham Innovation District, and the tech-focused Route 128 corridor. At Mount Ida, UMass Amherst offers an array of experiential learning opportunities to its undergraduate students, as well as a growing number of graduate and professional degree programs. The campus is growing its undergraduate career development programs with expanded access to internships and co-ops in the thriving Greater Boston area.
Provides administrative support to the Boston Regional Office of the Massachusetts Small Business Development Center (MSBDC) Network located at the Mt. Ida campus in Newton. Provides support for the office’s training programs and events. Supports the office in meeting its strategic, long-term goals.
- Provides administrative support for training programs, and major office-sponsored public relations and special interest events. Coordinates training schedules, resources, sponsors, workshop locations and speakers.
- Interacts with, and assess the needs of, clients and the public; responds to questions regarding small business, MSBDC services and other resources.
- Attends and/or provides logistical support for the Boston Regional Office at workshops and other public events.
- Designs and produces programs, press and marketing materials and training calendars.
- Acts as liaison with other departments and organizations including the University of Massachusetts Isenberg School of Management, the MSBDC state headquarters, the U.S. Small Business Administration, banks, chambers of commerce, economic development organizations, educational institutions and the local business community as part of the Boston Regional Office’s mission to assist in the establishment and growth of area small businesses.
- Serves as the primary outreach, information and referral staff-person in collaborative efforts with cooperating agencies.
- Performs routine office activities such as answering the phone, scheduling meetings, preparing presentations or correspondence and maintaining client files.
- Manages office expenditures and coordinates purchases with vendors. Troubleshoots administrative issues. Recommends, develops and implements new policies and procedures.
- Provides training and troubleshoots basic computer issues. Creates databases and generates reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least two (2) years administrative experience in an office setting.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong computer skills including at least intermediate expertise with a Windows operating system, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, & Excel and databases such as Microsoft Access.
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at once.
- Experience organizing events.
- Strong decision-making skills.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Intermediate fluency in Spanish.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants should complete online application, submit a cover letter, resume and provide contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: No
Location: Amherst Massachusetts
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.