Company: Health Care For All
Health Care For All (HCFA) is a state-based consumer health advocacy organization founded in 1985. HCFA’s mission is to advocate for health justice in Massachusetts by working to promote health equity and ensure coverage and access for all. The organization is recognized as a national leader in its work.
HCFA uses three strategies to conduct its work: direct service, community engagement, and policy and advocacy campaigns. HCFA helps tens of thousands of individuals and families enroll in and renew their health insurance coverage each year and troubleshoot health coverage issues through a unique, multi-lingual consumer assistance HelpLine. HCFA staff are also in the community conducting outreach work, education efforts and supporting individuals to share their stories and play a role in policy change. HCFA uses the insights from HelpLine callers and community residents to shape the organization’s advocacy agenda. HCFA works to expand health care access to everyone in the state and bring down health care costs in Massachusetts through its leadership of and participation in numerous policy advocacy coalitions. These coalitions bring together a wide variety of organizations to work collaboratively to make meaningful health policy changes. By uniting diverse constituencies, HCFA is able to magnify its policy reach on many fronts.
The organization’s achievements include leading Massachusetts health reform efforts, including legislation in 2006 that was the blueprint for the Affordable Care Act. Today, HCFA is leading the campaigns and coalitions necessary to improve health care access and affordability, as well as address the many inequities in our current health care system.
For more information, please visit www.hcfama.org.
The Chief of Staff for Health Care For All serves as liaison and advisor to the Executive Director and plays a key leadership role on the organization’s Management Team. The Chief of Staff supervises administrative, development and other staff, as-needed. They also provide operational support across the entire organization, in large part by managing a wide range of information and how it flows amongst staff and outside partners. Alongside the Executive Director, the Chief of Staff supports relationship management, leads the development portfolio and assists with managing the organizational budget.
The Chief of Staff is a planner, strategist and manager, often serving as the “glue” that keeps Health Care For All successful, vibrant and strong. They act as a project manager for assignments at the request of the Executive Director – working either independently or as part of a team on special, nonrecurring and ongoing projects. The Chief of Staff works with the Executive Director as the primary point person for organizational scheduling and for communicating with the Board of Directors.
The Chief of Staff is supervised by the Executive Director.
HCFA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter the office space. As of January14th, 2022, “fully vaccinated” means those that are eligible per CDC guidance have also received a COVID-19 booster shot.
Organizational Leadership and support to the Executive Director
- Serve as ambassador for HCFA, its core mission and for the people it represents
- Support overall operating strategy and goals of the organization and Executive Director by developing and overseeing a strategic calendar to ensure that the schedule and meeting priorities align with organizational goals
- Assist in relationship building with board members, major donors, program officers from foundations, elected officials, senior leaders of organizations, and other key contacts
- Facilitate discussions with the management team to solve problems, build consensus, and articulate key decision points
- Coordinate planning activities in preparation for meetings with key partners, legislators and other stakeholders. Work with the Communications and Policy department to ensure the Executive Director is adequately prepared for events and external meetings
- Undertake various writing tasks, such as drafting correspondence, talking points, operational memos, etc. as-needed
- Record Executive Director lobbying hours and coordinate with policy managers on annual lobbying disclosures and financial reporting
- Participate in technology infrastructure maintenance and HIPPA compliance activities related to organizational compliance matters
- Assist teams with document tracking, data maintenance and other tasks related to supporting sub-granting activities of the organization including contract review in collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer to ensure the physical office space of the organization is operational, efficient and meeting staff needs
- Embrace and support the organizational commitment to employee success through peer support and direct engagement with a special focus on issues relating to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ensure fiscal integrity of the organization by working with the Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer and contract Finance and Accounting staff to develop and monitor a $5m+ organizational budget
- Provide oversight to external Finance and Accounting staff
- Monitor revenue and expenses as well as accounts payable; annual audits and major organizational expenses
- Manage organizational contracts in collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer, program staff and managers
- Coordinate with operations and finance staff on timely state filings and accreditations
- Oversee a $2.5m+ donor and grant portfolio in partnership with managers and the Executive Director by collaborating on grant writing, prospecting and program design
- Lead and develop budgets for grant proposals in collaboration with managers, the Executive Director and contract finance staff
- Provide oversight and mentorship to the Administrative and Development Coordinator charged with monitoring the organizations grant calendar
- Conduct and drive a process for grant prospecting, reporting and donor meetings
- Lead major annual fundraising event activities including: venue selection and negotiation, communications strategy, fundraising strategy, program development, donor stewardship and vendor management
- Serve as the primary liaison for board members and manage board operations to strengthen communication, interaction, and decision-making
- Identify emerging internal and external issues, in collaboration with the Executive Committee, including the expiration of board member terms, new member orientation materials, historical record keeping, bylaws, board policies, etc.
- Collaborates with Board Chair, Executive Committee, Finance Committee and Governance Committee Chairs on strategy including board recruitment, meeting preparation and board training. Attends and provides support for Committee meetings
- Works with the Chief Operating Officer to manage a quarterly board reporting process including setting deadlines for managers; producing draft reports for the Executive Director; and reviewing and disseminating management reports
- 6-8 years of relevant experience required, minimum 3+ years’ of demonstrated experience working with executive-level staff
- Ability to handle confidential, sensitive information and maintain organizational privacy
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively and diplomatically with a with a wide range of team members and stakeholders in a diverse community
- Humility and compassion – and recognition that no job is too small if it supports the HCFA team and its mission
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects independently and remain flexible and poised in a challenging environment
- Leadership experience with all facets of fundraising and development work
- Experience working with donors and board members strongly preferred
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Strong command of all Microsoft Office products and willingness to learn and adapt to emerging technology needs and trends
- Excellent follow-up and follow-through skills
- Diplomatic style and high emotional intelligence
- Excellent problem solving and negotiation skills
- A vibrant sense of humor and ability to stay positive and focused under pressure
- Bilingual/bicultural background a plus
BENEFITS & SALARY RANGE
- Salary range: $90,000 – $100,000
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
- Convenient downtown Boston location
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: email@example.com. Please put “Chief of Staff” in the subject line.
Health Care For All does not discriminate in hiring based on age, color, ethnicity, race, national origin, primary language, religion, socio-economic status, family status, mental and physical disabilities, veteran status, gender identity characteristics and/or expression, sex, medical condition, sexual orientation or any classification that is protected by federal, state, or local law.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: Hybrid
Salary range: $90,000 – $100,000
Location: Boston, MA
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.