Company: City of Somerville
The Accounting Analyst performs professional accounting and auditing work for selected City Departments. Work requires the application of accounting knowledge and the ability to resolve complex financial, operational, and procedural problems.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Assists in maintaining the general and subsidiary ledgers of all funds including general fund, grants, capital, revolving, stabilization, and agency fund
- Posts all financial transactions including journal entries, payroll entries, abatements, cash receipts, etc.
- Prepares journal entries and executes budget transfers.
- Assesses internal checks and balances including, but not limited to, the monitoring of signatory approval for time sheets; the segregation of duties involving financial transactions such as collecting, receiving, and disbursements of funds and city property; adherence to procurement procedures; and the appropriate documentation of financial transactions.
- Audits cash receipts for proper posting.
- Audits pay-roll warrant for internal control compliance.
- Monitors, measures, and analyzes adopted budget against actual revenues and expenditures.
- Interacts with department heads and their designated staff for the purpose of monitoring, measuring, and analyzing differences between budgeted and actual results.
- Verifies that positions, job titles, and wages have been sufficiently budgeted.
- Monitors collection of receivables.
- Sets up organizations, budgets, accounts, charge codes, and projects in the MUNIS automated accounting system
- Assists Treasury in posting receipts to proper revenue account
- Assists in the withholding account reconciliation
- Uploads monthly YTD budget reports to the city’s website
- May perform other duties as assigned by the City Auditor and Deputy City Auditor
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Public Administration and three (3) years – experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill:
- Knowledge: Thorough knowledge of municipal accounting and auditing principles, practices and procedures; thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, promulgation’s of UMAS, Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and GAAP accounting standards and applicable Massachusetts General Laws, regarding finance, insurance and procurement; knowledge of municipal budgetary functions; knowledge of financial software applications; thorough knowledge of the operations of city departments.
- Abilities: Ability to develop effective working relationships with department personnel, subordinates and with the general public; ability to express oneself clearly and concisely verbally and in writing. Ability to use office equipment efficiently.
- Skill: Excellent organizational skills; excellent data processing skill in the use of personal computers and financial software including word processing and spreadsheet applications. Excellent analytical skills.
The work environment involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, with occasional exposure to outside elements. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours in response to attend evening meetings or complete work assignments.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Few physical demands are required to perform the work. Work effort principally involves sitting to perform work tasks, with intermittent periods of stooping, walking, and standing. May also be some occasional lifting of objects such as office equipment and computer paper (up to 30 lbs.)
Duties are largely mental rather than physical, but the job may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone, personal computer and/or most other office equipment including word processing, filing and sorting of papers.
Visual demands require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
Job type: Full Time
Fully remote: No
Salary range: $73,139.67 annualized + benefits
Location: Somerville, MA
Subscribe to MASSterList
Start your morning with MASSterList’s chronicle of news and informed analysis about politics, policy, media, and influence in Massachusetts. Plus, get an inside look at Beacon Hill’s hottest new job postings.